Thursday, September 16, 2010

I'm American, Hear Me Roar

So for the last week or so I have been traveling around Europe for work. And I must admit I have noticed an annoying pattern. Let me first state that I was - for a time- a cultural and linguistical anthropology major in college. I have also read several books about the human brain. I understand how most cultures and the brain like to put information into buckets. This is what many people see as a stereotyping. It is really just a way for our brains to deal with all the information was receive on an never ending basis. That being said I understand the need for stereotyping but I never like to buy into them as a general rule.

 

But one I must report is proving to be true is the need for Americans to be the loudest people in the room, train car, restaurant etc. Why is this? Do we think what we have to say is so important or interesting. that everyone else in the room wants to listen in?  It does make it easy for me to get my snippets but when you perceive the volume difference to Europeans it is quite shocking. In all fairness several of the violators have been Canadian. Are we just that clueless to our surroundings?

 

It is so amazing. I can be in a cafe or bar working away with really no notice of others in the room. As soon as the American enters, zoom, up goes the noise meter. I really hope I don't behave this way. But I am sure I have been a violator on several occasions. So is one way better than the other? Is it better to dominate the room with your conversation or just slip into the overall chatter?

 

For now I think I will keep my head down, sip my cider, and just listen in.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment